Sunday, March 1, 2009

Terminator Workout 1

I'm pretty busy with the day job today, so I'm just going to post my new workout program and the theory behind it. My schedule is pretty busy, but I manage to handle my full time job, a part-time consulting schedule and still make time for my 3 day split on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, gymnastics on Tuesday and Thursday, and a cardio session 2-4 days a week, often at 6am before work.
As I'm changing my diet over to keto starting this week, I need to change my workout as well. My goal right now is getting ripped; strength and size are a secondary consideration.

I call this new set of workouts the terminator series. The basics of the theory here is to do high-intensity strength workouts with lots of compound lifts. It involves wiping out the machines from my workout schedule, everything is done with free weights. Every lift is explosive, every movement is done in 3 sets of 8 with as much weight as possible, drop sets and rack-runs are employed whenever failure is reached. The exceptions to the 3 sets of 8 are bodyweight exercises such as parallel bar dips and pull ups.

** The new workout plan **

Since my schedule allows for Mon, Wed and Fri to be lifting days, every weight day includes my favorite basic strength builders:
Squats
Dead Lifts
Bench Press


On Monday, my lifting partners and I perform the 3 basic lifts, and add:
parallel bar dips (in 3 sets to failure)
military press
dumb bell incline press
barbell rows


On Wednesday, after the 3 basic lifts, we add:
SLDL
Standing calf raises


On Friday, after the 3 basic lifts, we add:
pull-ups (in 3 sets to failure)
seated cable rows
alternating DB curls

No comments:

Post a Comment