Monday, March 9, 2009

About my first refeed on the keto diet.

Yuck, it's Monday.

Well, I've been pretty busy hammering out programming stuff all weekend. I have been more than a little worried about my energy levels on the "keto" diet I began on Saturday of last week. I tried doing a carb-up day beginning on Thursday night and including all of Friday. I ate a pizza over 2 meals on Thursday night and had 2 slices for breakfast on Friday morning.

The short-term differences were immediate and drastic. I felt sluggish and bloated, but at the same time stronger. At our early workout session (due to my flex time every second Friday) I set a personal best with a squat of 205lbs for 3 reps. This is 25lbs more than my previous personal best single rep squat (albiet, this was a month ago, and I hadn't tried to up it since). I also noticed that I drank much less water than I have been while in the "keto zone".

The carb-up is to replace muscle glycogen levels that have been severely depleted through a week of near-zero carbohydrate intake. You may also have heard this refered to as a "refeed". Basically I take a break from my no starchy or processed carbs diet for a 24 hour period of clean carbo-loading and passive recovery. The idea behind this is to allow my body to repair from toeing the overtraining line on my current 5 day high-intensity training schedule.

Well, sorry for the lack of science behind today's blog, but it is Monday, and I'm busy as heck between my day job, my consulting, my lovely girlfriend and the gym. Tune in tomorrow for new content!

No comments:

Post a Comment