Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Step 2, The Gym pass.

The next thing I did was get a gym pass

After getting my gym pass, I did a little research online, and checked out several sites such as bodybuilding.com and crossfit.com so that I'd know what to do once inside my new home away from home.

I walked around my gym at the Canada Games Center here in Kamloops, which is part of the same complex as the indoor track, gymnastics center and swimming pool. This gym has two rooms, one filled with all kinds of machines and treadmills, and fat people, the other room was filled with athletic individuals working with free-weights (dumbbells and barbells) and a few specific isolation exercise machines.

The obvious thing here is something that hit me hard. All the fat people are plodding away on treadmills and ellipticals, and all of the beautiful people are lifting heavy weights. This point led to a little more research, which explained that the body burns MUCH MORE FAT in a more intense workout. For intense results you have to workout intensely.

While wandering around on the net, I've put together a few facts that were kind of cool, and led me to the following beginner's routine, recommended for a new fitness enthusiast's first 7-10 weeks in the gym. It takes about 45 minutes 3 days a week.




















Movementsetsreps
Squats38
Deadlifts38
benchpress310
parallel bar (or bench) dips312
pulldowns312
barbell curls310
ab crunches220


The point of this general full body workout is to get your body used to recruiting as many muscle fibers from the target groups as possible. This will help your body to not only begin the body transformation journey by burning more fat, and building strength, but as you progress, you will be able to more effectively target each muscle group for hypertrophy when training for size becomes an option.

Feel free to give it a try, and I'll blog something fun tomorrow about fasted cardio and how I keep my cardio sessions fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment